It is the right of all members of the Nagle College community to experience a safe and supportive learning and teaching environment. Staff, students and parents/carers have a right to be treated with respect and enjoy an environment free from bullying (including cyberbullying), harassment, violence, discrimination or intimidation. Teachers also have the rights to be informed, within Privacy requirements, about matters relating to students that may impact on the teaching and learning for that student.
Students have a responsibility to contribute positively to the educational experience for themselves and other students, to participate fully in the school’s educational program, and to ensure that their behaviours demonstrate respect for themselves, their peers, their teachers and all other members of the school community.
Parents/carers have a responsibility to take an active interest in their child’s educational progress, model and reinforce positive behaviours and ensure their child’s regular attendance. They have a responsibility to support the school in maintaining a safe and respectful learning environment for all students and engage in regular and constructive communication with school staff regarding their child’s learning.
Teachers have a responsibility to demonstrate the standards set by NESSA. That is, to know how students learn and how to teach them effectively, know the content they teach, know their students, plan and assess for effective learning, create and maintain safe and challenging learning environments, and use a range of strategies to engage students in effective learning. Teachers also have a responsibility to fairly, reasonably and consistently implement all school policies.
All members have an obligation to ensure school property is appropriately used and maintained.
Discrimination, sexual and other forms of harassment, bullying, violence, aggression and threatening behaviour are unacceptable and will not be tolerated in this school.
As principal and school leaders, we will:
- Work collaboratively to create a school environment where respectful and safe conduct is expected of everyone.
- Behave in a manner consistent with the standards of our profession and meet core responsibilities to provide inclusive, safe and orderly environments
- Plan, implement and monitor arrangements to ensure the care, safety, security and general wellbeing of all students in attendance at the school is protected
- Identify and support students who are or may be at risk
- Do our best to ensure every child achieves their personal and learning potential
- Work with parents to understand their child’s needs and, where necessary, adapt the learning environment accordingly
- Respond appropriately when inclusive, safe or orderly behaviour is not demonstrated and implement appropriate interventions and sanctions when required
- Make known to parents the school’s communication and complaints procedures
- Ask any person who is acting in an offensive or disorderly way to leave the school grounds.
As Teachers and all non-teaching staff, we will:
- Model positive behaviour to students consistent with the standards of our profession
- Proactively engage with parents about student outcomes
- Work with parents to understand the needs of each student and, where necessary, adapt the learning environment accordingly
- Work collaboratively with parents to improve learning and wellbeing outcomes for students with additional needs
- Communicate with the principal and school leaders in the event we anticipate or face any tension or challenging behaviours from parents
- Treat all members of the school community with respect.
As Parents and carers, we will:
- Ensure our child attends school on time, every day the school is open for instruction
- Model positive behaviour to our child
- Take an interest in our child’s school and learning
- Work with the school to achieve the best outcomes for our child
- Communicate constructively with the school and use expected processes and protocols when raising concerns
- Support school staff to maintain a safe learning environment for all students
- Follow the school’s complaints processes if there are complaints
- Treat all school leaders, staff, students, and other members of the school community with respect.
As Students, we will:
- Model positive behaviour to other students
- Comply with and model school values
- Behave in a safe and responsible manner
- Respect ourselves, other members of the school community and the school environment
- Actively participate in school
- Not disrupt the learning of others and make the most of our educational opportunities.